September 10th, 2012 by Colin M Jarman
ESPNAmerica.com editor Colin M Jarman (and his camera) was on the sidelines at the Emerald Isle Classic in Dublin when the Fighting Irish took on the Midshipmen on the opening weekend of the college football season.
Here are Colin’s Top Ten photos of the Game (in no particular order) …
1. During the pre-game practice sessions there is so much going on you never really know who or what to shoot. Here you get an idea of how far away the receiver (#14) is from the QB and the fact the QB has thrown the ball before the receiver has started to look for it.
2. With gameday uniforms now being a fashion item with special designs and colorations, it was no surprise that the Fighting Irish decided to celebrate playing in Dublin, Ireland with their own brand of tricolor boots and socks. “Very spiffy,” as my colleague Paddy the Brick might say!
3. As a photographer looking through the camera close up at the action, you quite often miss the end of a play. Having a large screen to look at afterwards means you can keep up with the play and the score! However, the screens also run live during the game action but with a couple of seconds delay … as you can judge from the above photo.
4. The Irish racked up almost 300 yards in rushing on the day. Here QB Everett Golson hands off to Theo Riddick (107 yds & 2 TDs) as the ND lineman start to create running room …
5. Later in the game, the ND lineman smash open a gaping hole for Riddick to burst through … Run to Daylight, indeed!
6. The Navy running backs did not have the same luxury of wide open spaces to gallop into, and were often caught from behind by the marauding ND defense.
7. With the running game working spectacularly well, Everett Golson (12-18 for 144 yds & 1 TD) – in his first game as a starter – was able to take his time to pass downfield when he needed to keep the Navy run defense honest.
8. With all day to throw on most occasions, Golson was able to find the perfect throwing form for his delivery. Check out the fingers on his non-throwing hand!
9. Not everything went smoothly on Golson’s debut. Here he is sacked by Navy LB Keegan Wetzel – one of the few highlights for the Midshipmen on a day when the Irish ruled the waves.
10. Notre Dame beat Navy 50-10 and the final point of the game came on this PAT in the final minute of regulation.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL ON ESPN AMERICA
For the latest live and as live College Football games on ESPN America check the NCAA Football TV schedule on the top right of this page or
To catch more live NCAA games and for on demand access sign up for ESPN Player College Pass:
|28 May - 23:30||College Football Live|
|30 May - 07:30||College Football Live|
|30 May - 23:30||College Football Live|
|31 May - 21:30||30 For 30 - The Best that Never Was|
|31 May - 23:30||College Football Live|
|3 Jun - 23:30||College Football Live|
|4 Jun - 03:30||College Football Live|
|4 Jun - 11:30||College Football Live|
|5 Jun - 00:30||College Football Live|
|5 Jun - 11:30||College Football Live|
© ESPN 2013